Porject Curator: Ur Cuneiform Digitisation
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Department of the Middle East at the British Museum as Project Curator: Ur Cuneiform Digitisation. The successful candidate will work in a project team and will assist with the British Museum's contribution to the joint University of Pennsylvania/British Museum Ur of the Chaldees: a virtual vision of Woolley's excavations project, which is lead funded by the Leon Levy Foundation. The project is producing an innovative digital presentation of the results of Woolley's excavations at Ur, which captured the imagination of the international public and continue to provide a rich resource for scholarship. The project integrates and interconnects the finds and records from Ur, opening new avenues of research.
Key areas of responsibility:
- To produce high-quality images of all inscribed objects according to the Project's system and standards.
- To identify, check and list all inscribed objects from Ur.
- To take the lead on the collecting and incorporating of all publications of Ur inscriptions.
- To assist the Cuneiform Curator in providing transliterations or translations of Ur inscriptions where these are not available.
- To assist the Cuneiform Curator in producing syntheses or other materials for the website that will help to bring Ur and its finds alive.
- To conduct original research leading to the presentation of scholarly papers at conferences and seminars.
The successful candidate will have a postgraduate degree in Assyriology with fluency in Sumerian and Akkadian cuneiform of all types. You will have experience of digital photography and a familiarity with effective data management. You will have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work as part of an effective team including; excellent communication and information sharing skills.
Working Hours: Full time
Contract Terms: Fixed term until 31 July 2016
Closing Date: 12 noon; Monday, 20 April 2015
For further information or to apply for this role, please go to www.britishmuseum.org/jobs